zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

altangst.com
Pages: (12) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Reliving the Music Of Your Youth...Endlessly, The Mid Twenties Stall
John Garfield
Posted: Mar 4 2010, 09:23 AM

Like the 'Amen' break of Angst

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

This seems to be the big derailer when it comes to people engaging with new music as they get older

I know quite a few people who got to that age....round about their mid twenties and just seemed to stop bothering with new music.....or rather new bands. People who were quite into music.....is this a genetic thing? What happens around that time? Work becomes more serious? Kids? Mortgages?

What do you think?

Randy
Posted: Mar 4 2010, 09:26 AM

Member No.: 4

yeah, they get married.
slavestate
Posted: Mar 4 2010, 09:27 AM

Member No.: 10

Nah, my tastes have grown with the man.

I'm probably slightly more conservative with the clothing these days but I still look better then 95% of people I see every day

I have got friends who were never really into music at all. Or films. Or books. Thank fuck for alcohol

dothestrand
Posted: Mar 4 2010, 09:30 AM

Member No.: 65

I'm into music/films way more now than when I was a teenager. It's probably the Internet.
muppers
Posted: Mar 4 2010, 09:31 AM

Member No.: 134

I think people just get less adventurous, don't they? And they have to save for things like mortgages and stuff. Also it gets harder to drag yourself out for a gig on a Tuesday night if you've got a nice comfy house to sit in and Masterchef to watch or whatever.

I know I lost touch when I started saving for India, every penny was accounted for and I couldn't justify CDs. Dave gave me loads of shit for buying a 12 quid tshirt as I recall. Then when I started to have money again it was all downloads and I struggled to find the best way to get my music. I've started on the amazon downloads now, and myself and my office mate have changed 'groovy Tuesday' to 'new music Tuesday' in an effort to expand our horizons.

John Garfield
Posted: Mar 4 2010, 09:32 AM

Like the 'Amen' break of Angst

Member No.: 18

'Groovy Tuesday'?
NoCultureIcon
Posted: Mar 4 2010, 09:32 AM

Spoons!!!

Member No.: 57

This has never happened to me, but I guess I did lose interest in going to gigs a few years ago - went to 1 gig in 13 months about 6 or 7 years ago. Totally Randy.
slavestate
Posted: Mar 4 2010, 09:33 AM

And the best thing ever as I get older is my complete disdain for most television. I watch less than I ever have and I am so pleased I miss out on this particular zeitgeist

Randy
Posted: Mar 4 2010, 09:34 AM

Member No.: 4

Gigs are overated.
muppers
Posted: Mar 4 2010, 09:36 AM

Member No.: 134

QUOTE (John Garfield @ Mar 4 2010, 09:32 AM)
'Groovy Tuesday'?

We theme our music days. Groovy Tuesday didn't work out too well. It's alphabetical Thursday today. We're on D. Currently listening to Xx cos he is in a meeting.
slavestate

QUOTE (Randy @ Mar 4 2010, 09:34 AM)
Gigs are overated.

"So is sex", said Brer Fox
NoCultureIcon

Spoons!!!

QUOTE (slavestate @ Mar 4 2010, 09:33 AM)
And the best thing ever as I get older is my complete disdain for most television. I watch less than I ever have and I am so pleased I miss out on this particular zeitgeist

I watch more than I ever did, but I put that down to the fact that TV (well, US TV more specifically) get a lot of top writers, directors and actors into a series and the improvements have been vast.

Soaps, reality, 95% of sitcoms and pmost panel shows can fuck right off though.
NoCultureIcon

Spoons!!!

QUOTE (Randy @ Mar 4 2010, 09:34 AM)
Gigs are overated.

So is felching.
slavestate
Posted: Mar 4 2010, 09:38 AM

QUOTE (NoCultureIcon @ Mar 4 2010, 09:36 AM)
I watch more than I ever did, but I put that down to the fact that TV (well, US TV more specifically) get a lot of top writers, directors and actors into a series and the improvements have been vast.

Soaps, reality, 95% of sitcoms and pmost panel shows can fuck right off though.

Now I am working again I'm out most nights so I can't commit to series, and I'm not going to spend moeny / time recording things I'll never watch. I am slightly sad that I have never seen the Wire, the Shield, only briefly dipped into the Sopranos but I'd rather not get inot something I don't end up completing. In fact the last thing I watched religiously was Life on Mars....

NoCultureIcon
Posted: Mar 4 2010, 09:41 AM

Spoons!!!

QUOTE (slavestate @ Mar 4 2010, 09:38 AM)

Now I am working again I'm out most nights so I can't commit to series, and I'm not going to spend moeny / time recording things I'll never watch. I am slightly sad that I have never seen the Wire, the Shield, only briefly dipped into the Sopranos but I'd rather not get inot something I don't end up completing. In fact the last thing I watched religiously was Life on Mars....

Aye....if I had a more active social life, I'd probably be the same. As it is, I have far too much free time that needs filling somehow.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | alt.angst | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (12) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Quick Reply

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive